We all want an affordable lawn mower that is not bad in quality either. Basically, we are asking for the highest bang for bucks in the most affordable range. Let’s say it, not everyone can afford a $700 dollar machine just for their lawn.
We offer you a simple solution. It is a list of 5 of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under $400 that offer exactly what you are looking for. We promise you that these brands keep their promise of keeping your yard clean and beautiful.
Powerful engine and heavy load carrying capability make these lawn mowers special. What are you waiting for? Take a look and get on for your lawn.
Why self-propelled lawn mowers are getting popular?
Now, this question is typically easy to answer.
If you are a house owner with a lawn in front of your house, you know exactly why you need a self-propelled lawn mower. Let’s face it, we don’t have time to waste on our lawn. We would rather spend it somewhere else.
This is 2021. Who has time for lawn mowing?
Here are a few reasons why self-propelled lawn mowers are becoming so popular these days:
- They save time and effort.
Who wants to work on their lawn on a hot summer day? No one. This is a complete labor focused work if you are doing it on your own. Why not take the help of technology and finish your work effortlessly?
- Self-propelled lawn mowers are more effective.
That’s right. Self-propelled lawn mowers are set with blades that are stronger than regular push lawn mowers. They cut effectively and efficiently.
- They are cool.
They increase your status. It just looks cool to see a dad or a home owner mowing their lawn with the finest technology mankind has to offer.
You see what we mean?
Why won’t they be getting popularity? Most people in our neighbor have already started ditching their push lawn mowers and got themselves a self-propelled lawn mower. And guess what? Money isn’t even the issue when it comes to affording a good self-propelled lawn mower.
So why not take a look at our list and select one for yourself? Also, take a look at our blog on things to consider before buying a lawn mower.
Best Self-Propelled Lawn Mowers Under $400
Here we go. The list of the best self-propelled lawn mowers in the affordable $400 range is right below. These are from the best brands on the market right now. So watch them carefully, you might find the best one right here.
- Greenworks 21-inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn mower (40V version)
- This lawn mower weighs around 67 pounds.
- It has a 21 inch cutting width from the blade.
- 21 inch steel deck for durability.
- It has brushless technology on its motor, which gives it longer life, better torque and quiet operation.
- It has 7 height adjustment facilities and a 3 in 1 grass clippings management system.
The Greenworks GMAX 40V offers a lot of versatility in its package. It is for those who want more bang for bucks. Greenworks always kind of thrives to deliver that power to the home owners.
The 40V version is great with all the facilities we have just discussed above. Although the 40V version is great, the 80V version might interest you if you are a bit more power seeking.
The 40V version offers all of these with a set of tools, ready to get straight in to work. You will never regret purchasing a Greenworks self-propelled lawn mower.
- High-quality wide enough durable steel deck.
- Precise cutting technology.
- It has wheels that have quality gears.
- Battery and Charger Included for zero inconvenience.
- The steel deck makes it a little heavy.
- Takes a bit of skill to make a U-turn.
- Offers less power
Greenworks Pro 21-inch Self-Propelled cordless Lawn Mower (80V Version)
- This version of Greenworks Lawn Mower has an 80V battery.
- It weighs 74.1 pounds, a lot more than the 40V version.
- It has the same 21 inch cutting width and steel deck as the 40V one.
- This is a cordless self-propelled lawn mower, so charger might be included or it may not.
- This one is also brushless just like the 40V one.
Greenworks offers only the right tool for the right job. They do that by offering different power variations of their tools. They have variations from 24 Volt all the way to 82 Volt, which is for commercial grade. So, 80 Volt is definitely the higher tier one.
The Greenworks deliver tools that are environment friendly. These are tools that work efficiently with minimal waste, pollution or noise. This 80V one is even better because it can deliver that quality for longer. It is definitely a great choice for those who have a slightly bigger yard. Medium sized yards are its area of excellence.
- Easy to start and conduct.
- 3 in 1 mulching capability.
- 7 adjustable mower deck heights.
- Powerful 80V battery.
- Little to no noise.
- A bit heavy than the previous version
Difference between the 40V and the 80V version
The 40V version is a lot smaller and lighter than the 80V version
The 80V version is heavier but powerful. The 80V version charges quicker and lasts longer with its powerful batteries.
Other than that, the rest of the details are pretty much the same for this model.
- Craftsman M215 159cc 21-inch 3 in 1 High-wheeled FWD Lawn mower
- The Craftsman is also a powerful beast with 159CC OHV Gas Engine.
- It also has 3 in 1 grass clippings management capabilities.
- This one is a front wheel drive so you can tip up on its rear wheels to turn.
- It has 6 different adjustable height settings.
- 21 inch cutting width.
Gas powered or not, this Craftsman lawn mower is a great tool for perfecting your lawn. This very powerful lawn mower comes with its own bag to collect clippings from mowing. It has 6 different height adjustments to trim your grass the way you want.
Since it is a gas powered lawn mower, it releases fumes and creates a lot of noise. However, it has a lot of energy to keep on going for as long as you want. As long as you have the fuel is what we mean.
It has a recoil start and a auto choke for quick start and conduction. If you don’t have any concern for the environment, you can get yourself a Craftsman M215 159CC OHV Gas Powered Lawn Mower.
- Powerful engine to keep on going
- No need for recharge.
- Different height adjustments.
- Front wheel drive gives it quick maneuver capabilities
- Can be easily tipped on its rear wheels.
- Shows no concern for the environment.
- Costs a lot of fuel.
- Extremely noisy. Enough to wake up the neighbors.
- Snapper HD 48V Max Cordless Electric Self-Propelled 20-inch Lawn Mower
- This is a cordless lawn mower with a 48V max 5.0 Lithium-ion battery.
- It has very fast charging capability and runs up to 60 minutes with light work load.
- The Snapper has its own load sensing technology.
- It has 7 height adjustments and 20 inch cutting width.
- It even has vertical storage facility, which is very handy.
The Snapper 20SPWM48 is a freaking good lawn mower. It can mow so efficiently that it makes all the other lawn mowers out there look bad.
It is a 48V 5.0 Lithium-ion battery lawn mower. Its powerful batteries make lawn mowing so easy. It charges fast and runs for a longer period of time. Run time is usually 60 minutes, but that depends on the work load.
Height adjustments, cutting width all are so easy and customizable. It gives the user so many options to decide their cutting strategy. Vertical storage facility even saves their storage space. And last but not least, it is easy to clean. Who wouldn’t want this?
- Easy electric push start button.
- Lightweight mower compared to others.
- Durable steel body with less gapes.
- Load sensing technology
- Battery and charger sold separately, so no problem replacing them
- Easy access to the battery compartment.
- Vertical storage facility.
- Loud for an electric lawn mower.
- Single battery compartment.
- Charger and battery has to be bought separately.
- Troy-Bilt 12 AVA2MR766 21-inch Self-Propelled Lawn Mower
- This Troy-Bilt lawn mower is actually a gas powered lawn mower.
- It has a 21 inch cutting width and 6 heights adjustments.
- 159CC OHV gas powered engine provided automatic operation.
- A 1.9 Bushel bag on the back to collect grass.
- Front wheel drive system offers smooth turning capability.
The Troy-Bilt 12AVA2MR766 model features a reliable starting 159cc OHV engine. The Troy-Bilt lawn mower comes with a oil check system. This system reduces maintenance time and the effort to dispose of old oil. It has variable-speed feature with a front wheel drive system that improves control. This allows faster turning while mowing.
It has 3 in 1 grass clippings management facility. It even comes with a 1.9 bushel bag. Its dual-lever height adjusters are conveniently located to quickly adjust height. It has 6 height positions and cutting heights from 1.25 in. to 3.75 inches.
You can depend on Troy-Bilt to keep yard clean and pretty.
- Easy start
- Back ward mowing is not a problem with this one
- 3-in-1 side discharge, mulch and bagging capabilities
- Quick turning and moving capabilities
- Really strong Bushel bag
- Oil checker helps keep oil in check
- Fuel stabilizers not included.
- Noise is a big problem.
- Fume isn’t too much but bad.
- Really bad for hilly terrains.
- PowerSmart Lawn Mower 21 inch 170CC Gas Powered Lawn mower
- This gas powered lawn mower has a 170 CC OHV engine.
- 21 inch steel mowing deck and a cutting width.
- It has powerful 4 stroke control and cutting range adjuster from 1.18 to 3.0 inches.
- It even has a 1.4 bushel bag.
- 3 in 1 grass clipping managing facility with quick turning capabilities.
PowerSmart will make your garden look smart. It has the most promising gas powered lawn mower in the market. It has great stroke control along with cutting depth adjuster. Long time work capability and can run through any type of grass.
This gas powered lawn mower doesn’t take no for answer. It has height adjusters for easy 7 height positioning. You can basically trim your lawn anyway you like. Also with the fast maneuverability you can make quick and easy turns on this lawn mower.
Besides the above facilities, PowerSmart also offers you full customer satisfaction. They are giving you 3 years of warranty and after sales service.
- Easy control and mobility.
- Big enough bushel bag that is strong enough to carry heavy load of grasses.
- Very easy storage capability. Foldable and easily cleanable.
- Offers promising customer satisfaction.
- Fuel tank big enough to last longer in the field.
- Pollution is a big deal.
- Very noisy.
- Sucks at slopes or hilly terrain.
Is the bushel bag they offer strong enough to hold on?
The bushel bags most brands offer are really strong and reliable. They can hold up to 10-15 gallons of weight without tearing. Some brands offer even stronger bags.
Can I mow my hilly lawn?
Yes you can, but depending on the size of the hill. If it is a long hill you might want to get a rear wheel drive lawn mower. Front wheel drive lawn mowers don’t have enough power to stay on hills.
Does the steel deck even protect the blade and engine?
Most lawn mower brands offer strong steel deck to cover and protect the blade from unwanted debris. Yes they do protect the blade and the motor.
Can I store my self-propelled lawn mower vertically?
Yes you can, but not all lawn mowers are capable of that. Some gas powered lawn mowers will be completely ruined if you store them vertically. Check the description if they mention vertical storage facility.
Why do they sell electrical lawn mower batteries and charger separately?
They sell electrical lawn mower batteries and charger separately so that if you run in to any trouble, you can change them from anywhere. You won’t have to take the entire lawn mower with you.
Did you like our list?
Did you find anything worth your investment?
Let us tell you again that we have carefully chosen these lawn mowers. We know that budget problem right now. With the pandemic and lockdown, financial conditions have not been in our favor. In this condition it is hard to afford something that requires high investment.
We know it is hard to trust something that is affordable and provides good quality. It sounds too good to be true. Fortunately it is true. Now we are not claiming that they are perfect. They do have flaws and we have listed them out. But make sure to check the pros as well.
Listen, we care for your pocket and that is why we have made this list. We promise that these 5 self-propelled lawn mowers are the best in the market under $400 range. At least give a good look.